Monday, February 3, 2014

How to select papers

Hi everyone! Today is my turn to offer you a tip/technique for the awesome Kraftin Kimmie stamps, we are doing this every Monday so make sure you check back weekly for a new post.

Several of the people on our facebook page asked for some suggestions on how to choose papers for their cards so this is how I do it. I took a home decorating class several years ago and follow those rules.

First, I choose a bold multi-colored print from my paper pad and use it as a starting point. I pull my colors from this and also my different patterns. I try to choose a medium print and then either a small print or something monochromatic. And I also try to do a different type of pattern for each paper ie. floral, stripe, geometric. I am gonna show you some good examples and things to avoid.

Here is a large, medium and small print that works well.

Here is what happens when you pick prints that are all busy and all the same scale. This is the "don't do it" photo.

Here is what happens when all of your prints are a small scale, kinda blah don't you think?

And again, here are some papers with a large design, medium and a couple of small ones. I have also varied my colors which I picked out of the large design. The more contrast the better.

Okay, I hope that helps a bit. Remember, vary the size of the print and try to use different prints, not all floral, all stripes etc. And if you have any questions for me, just post them in the comment box and I will be happy to reply to you!

5 comments:

Vivi Casale said...

I always have a hard time to pick my pattern papers... I love the tips, thank you!
xx

Shona Erlenborn said...

Thanks for the tips Amanda! Great samples to show what to and not to do! Thanks for sharing.

Ardilla said...

Thanks for this tips! Sometimes is so hard to chose the right papers...
Hugs,
Ardilla :)

Tammy Mauer said...

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

Trish Molnar said...

Thank for the great tips!!